The Fire Service Act was passed in 1947 and as a result the wartime National Fire Service and the AFS were disbanded and control was passed to the County and County Borough Councils. In Surrey, the fire brigade was organised into three divisions, with stations listed in 1951 as follows:
| A Division|| B Division|| C Division|
|A1 Wimbledon (Divisional HQ)||B1 Reigate (Divisional HQ) ||C1 Guildford (Divisional HQ)|
|A2 Mitcham||B2 Banstead||C2 Chilworth |
|A3 Wallington||B3 Purley ||C3 Cranleigh |
|A4 Sutton||B4 Sanderstead ||C4 Dunsfold|
| A5 Epsom ||B5 Caterham ||C5 Chiddingfold |
| A6 Cobham ||B6 Merstham ||C6 Haslemere |
| A7 Esher ||B7 Limpsfield||C7 Godalming|
|A8 East Molesey||B8 Redhill||C8 Farnham |
|A9 Surbiton||B9 Lingfield ||C9 Frimley|
|A10 New Malden||B10 Horley||C10 Bisley |
|A11 Kingston||B11 Capel||C11 Camberley |
|A12 Richmond||B12 Dorking ||C12 Bagshot|
| A13 Barnes ||B13 Leatherhead||C13 Egham|
N.B (Carshalton was included in A Division,
but never operated as a fulltime station).
|C17 Addlestone |
C13 Egham Fire Station
In many peoples eyes, these were the “golden days” of the Surrey Fire Brigade, when there were only three “watches”, red, white and blue and the fire engines had not been “standardised”. A two-pump station might have a very up-to-date Leyland Comet Windover pump plus a WW2 escape carrier with Barton front-mounted pump (all smartly re-painted shiny red), or a Braidwood bodied Dennis PE and a WW2 Heavy Unit. What was never in doubt was the pride in the job!
Sadly many stations had closed by 1975, these were :
A8 A13 + Carshalton
B6 B7 B8 B11
C2 C5 C9 C10 C12 C16 C17 C19 C21
A final re-organisation occurred when there were major county-boundary changes in 1965. The Greater London Council was formed and took over the Middlesex, Croydon, East & West Ham Fire Brigades, plus a number of stations from Hertfordshire, Essex, Kent and Surrey Fire Brigades.
Surrey lost Wimbledon, Mitcham, Sutton, Wallington, Purley, Kingston, Surbiton, Richmond, New Malden and Sanderstead, but gained both Sunbury on Thames and Staines from the disbanded Middlesex Fire Brigade.
This has been a brief history; some of the information may be inaccurate and I would welcome comments and corrections.